The World is actually in reset, not in recession (parts on the western world that is), due to the internet. As it has: democratised, globalised, connected, socialised, free-ised, Googleised, etc everything and will now score every participating individual on their worth to the internet platform as we all compete for living through the lens of online. Larry Ellison coined the term “the internet changed everything” in the mid 90’s and boy was he right, at Oracle all of us at the time mainly thought he was just referring to the technology and software but of course it actually was everything that effects the World economy, systems and structures.
A reminder of the 10 things the internet changes:
1. Democratised and sped up the Worlds information flows, and through this and mobile communications is bringing real democracy through people challenging political systems etc.
2. Opened up Global markets so that anyone from their bedroom can start a business and sell globally, therefore creating hyper competition.
3. Connected everyone with an email address or a Skype address for free.
4. Opened up the World’s educational resources for everyone and search engines as the place to answer nay question or find any person.
5. Socialised everyone through platforms like Facebook allowing us to amplify our human or wanting to “be social”, share and participate.
6. Introduced a “free” expectation – people expect free music, communication, programming, books, content well at least for now.
7. Changed marketing to interaction or engagement not push marketing.
8. Put corporations “out of control” because they can no longer control their markets without greater consideration for their customers, or their people who can build their own brands (social capital) and networks independently of the firm (but by so doing help the firm).
9. Exposed us all to having to be authentic, real, focused on what we do.
10. Rated everyone on specific platform with more followers perhaps being seen as more attractive of through rating engines like Klout or PeerIndex so the World can see if it wants to hire you how good you networking and your connecting skills actually are.
We are now in control
So if you are still on Windows, or fondly remember the CTRL+ALT+DELETE reset action, its worth perhaps using this as a reminder to the fact that control is being altered, deleted from the corporations and being handed over to people on the internet and that means you. The challenge for us all is skilling up to properly take advantage of it and learning how to play the game as our score will most definitely be being kept (Klout, Peer Index).
The platforms and race to control the internet is being played out in silicon valley and the political impact of the power these companies will hold over the world economy is not yet fully understood.
So one could say the internet is giving us alot for the better, however the price for that is this global reset where we are all effectively forced to play its game, because not to, will mean financial hardship, so therefore we will all need to understand (where the expectation starts at FREE!), plan, and think how we play the game. The bottom line is we need to sharpen our digital/online and social media skills, or get someone to do it for us.